Coloring Your Way Closer to God
Contemplative coloring draws us into the presence of God as we release stress, anxiety, and worries. Color you way closer to God and explore your creativity with hues of red, yellow, blue, vibrant, and pastel.
Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking. Ezekiel 1:28 NIV
WHAT IS CONTEMPLATIVE COLORING
Contemplative coloring is an easy, fun, and practical way to release emotions and lean into God. Choosing to make time to be with God on purpose and intentionally creating a space to listen for God’s gentle whisper. Nurture a deeper relationship with God through the colorful, contemplative practice of praying while coloring.
BENEFITS OF COLORING
- Reduces stress and anxiety by decreasing brain activity in the amygdala or fear-center of the brain, responsible for the fight or flight response.
- Improves focus by fixing our minds on a single, simple task
- Keeps us present and engaged in the moment
- Boosts our creativity
- Helps us handle the discomfort of treatment and the mental stress of a diagnosis.
- Lifts our spirits when we feel sad or depressed
- Helps to improve sleep because coloring is a blue-screen-free activity that can help us relax and maybe even get a better, more restful night’s sleep
Neurophychologist Stan Rodski says, “Tasks with predictable results, such as coloring or knitting, can often be calming. We started seeing changes in heart rate, changes in brainwaves.”
“Coloring can allow us to be fully engaged, which gives us a break from our thoughts or distractions that might be happening around us.” Rebecca Skolnick, PH.D.
A PLACE TO BEGIN • CONTEMPLATIVE COLORING
- Each of us is creative. Each of us is made in the image of our Creator God, who has woven creativity into our very DNA.
- Set aside a time. Whether it’s morning, afternoon, or before we go to bed, choosing a time to drop everything and spend some time coloring and praying will bless us.
- Pick a favorite spot. Choosing a comfy chair, a desk, or even outdoors creates an inviting spot to spend time each day. Keeping our coloring supplies on hand along with our bible will serve as a reminder to meet with God.
- Invite God. Beginning with an invitation for God to join us, reminds us that God is with us always and prepares us to hear from Him. “Speak for your servant is listening”. 1 Samuel 3:10
- Is there scripture? Notice the coloring page as a whole, is there scripture as part of the page or does a verse come to mind? Contemplate those words.
- Lines are optional. In contemplative coloring, the lines are simply suggestions. Color within them, on them, draw new lines, and even color outside the lines.
- Notice the colors. What in creation has that color? No need to work hard at thinking about this, we can simply let our minds and hearts be receptive to what God may show us.
- No color is off-limits. Choose colors that have meaning or are appealing. Just go with the impulse and simply enjoy coloring
- Leave blank space. Contemplative coloring is about the journey, peace, rest, and the connection to God. Leaving blank space may be an invitation to return at another time. In fact, those blank spaces may become essential parts of your prayerful creation.