“A good laugh heals a lot of hurts.” Madeleine L’Engle
“Laughter is a reward of humility and utter dependence upon God. It descends like rain upon a parched heart,” writes Terry Lindvall, Ph.D.
“The wellspring of laughter is not happiness, but pain, stress, and suffering.” James Thurber
“True humor springs more from the heart than from the head; it is not contempt; its essence is love.” Thomas Carlyle
- is good medicine
- sparkles like a splash of water in sunlight (Joseph Lelyveld)
- is the glitter of the soul (Robin Dance)
- bursts forth from the soul, overflows, and bubbles all around (Carolyn Birmingham)
- is God’s hand on the shoulder of a troubled world (Bettenell Huntznicker)
- is carbonated holiness (Anne Lamott)
- is the sound of the soul dancing (Jarod Kintz)
- like sunshine and music and love, is prepared for us by God (James Strahan)
- is the foundation of reconciliation (St. Francis de Sales)
- is the tonic, the relief, the surcease for pain (Charlie Chaplin)
- is sunshine in the house (William Thackeray)
- is the sun that drives winter from the human face (Victor Hugo)
- is creative living art (Serene West)
- is the beginning of prayer (Reinhold Niebuhr)
“With the Spirit’s help, humor has the powerful potential to keep us humble, honest, and hospitable as we walk the path of the redeemed life towards our eternal home,” concludes Susanna Baldwin.
BENEFITS OF HUMOR
- Reduces anxiety and stress
- Burns calories
- Relieves pain
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves focus
- Combats memory loss
- Increases creativity
- Relaxes muscles
- Boost the immune system
- Reduces inflammation
- Releases feel-good endorphins
- Stimulates blood flow to organs
How Much Better Do You Feel When You Laugh?
Add a Little Laughter Note Starters
Illness and pain can sometimes shroud the gift of glittering laughter, crushing the embers of our joy. Sometimes all it takes is a quirky pun, a groan-worthy Dad joke, or a play on words to spark a grin. Grab a pen, a Chronic Joy flat card, and share a little bit of #PenToPaper laughter with a friend.
Share the Laughter
Enjoy these jokes and share them with your friends or loved ones. Then flip the sheet over and imagine what it might feel like to live upside-down for a day.
YOU GET TEXTS • HUMOR
Most of us need a little more humor in our lives, so today, spark a little laughter by signing up for our Humor Texts – quirky, clean, and always right on time!
Join by texting: (262) 228-1972
Type keyword: ChronicJoyHumor
Rev. Susan Sparks
Laughter was honored by the ancients as a spiritual healing tool and celebrated by the world's great religions. So why aren’t we laughing along the spiritual path today? What would happen if we did? The power of humor radiates far beyond punch lines, it can help: remove the fearful mask of a God who doesn’t laugh, find perspective when faced with adversity, and keep your faith when God is silent.
Rev. Susan Sparks
How do you hold onto hope in the midst of despair? The answer is simple! All you need is love, a tiara, and a cupcake. Using these three festive metaphors, discover heart-warming meditations on finding your purpose (love), claiming your worth (a tiara), and holding onto your joy (a cupcake) — tools that can get you through the worst of times.